Monday, September 12, 2011

Book Review: Last Car to Elysian Fields by James Lee Burke (Warning Contains Spoilers)

Last Car To Elysian Fields (Dave Robicheaux, #13)Last Car To Elysian Fields by James Lee Burke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm afraid that although I enjoy James Lee Burke's writing, I didn't really enjoy the story this time. In chronology this is set after the death of Dave Robicheaux's wife Bootsie, and this is possibly why I didn't enjoy it. Dave seemed a little out of control the whole way through the book and I just felt uncomfortable.

Now I know Dave has always had a edge, and has never been what you might regard as a conformist, he has however always done the right thing. Or the right thing for the reasons at the time. On this occasion however it didn't feel quite that way, more as if he was doing what he needed to regardless of whether it was right or not.

Despite that the writing of James Lee Burke is amazing, as always. The descriptions are poetical at times, and in many ways I feel a little guilty for now liking this book more.

View all my reviews

Posted via email from Tontowilliams's Electronic Scrapbook

No comments: