Friday, October 16, 2009

It's About the Light


At this time of year I get to see very little of the garden, as when I get up and go to work it's dark, and by the time I come home from work it's dark. What I do see is either by the light of the neighbouring street-lights or from our garden outside light.

That said this time of year is one of the most spectacular. The autumn when greens are turning to rusty reds, oranges and browns. Spectacular colours of retreating plants preparing for a rest-full spell over the winter.

Given what I see of the evenings in the garden I thought I'd share some pictures of our strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo). It's getting to it's most spectacular stage when it has both white flowers and green, yellow and red fruit all at the same time.
It's also known as the "once only tree", because although the fruits are edible you only ever want to eat one because they taste awful (I've never tried so can't say whether this is true or merely garden legend. Blackbirds on the other hand love the fruit, and bees love the flowers.

As it was dark when I took these pictures they are done so by the aid of the camera flash. Perhaps there is a new theme starting here - the garden by "flash"light?




No comments: