Well the weather was pretty pants yesterday, forcing me to spend the time I had planned to spend in the garden, in the potting shed instead. This was however time well spent, with planning what I might do in terms of a different layout.
Last year most of our tomatoes succumbed to blight, as did many peoples' who kept them out of doors during the summer. This year we are planning to bring them on right through the summer in the potting shed, to try and avoid this. So yesterday was spent moving pots and things around in order to create the space that we will need. I finished that this morning and am quite pleased with the result.
It meant that today, many of the flowering plants that we had planned to plant out, had to do just that. So out into the flower borders went three roses, two fuscias, and a trailing carnation. Taking their place in the potting shed, are some more tubs of tomatoes, lettuce and leeks (in toilet roll tubes). The sweetcorn that was planted in this way is going great guns, and has been planted on into bigger pots, with their toilet roll tubes, as these haven't completely rotted through yet.
I notice that my broad beans aren't doing as well as some of those growing on the local allotments, but I assume that this is because those on the allotments were planted before the winter, and have had a few extra (albeit cold) weeks to grow on a little further. That said I am rather proud of mine. My runner beans have also just poked their little leafy heads out, so soon they will probably start to grow up the can pyramid, that I put in the pot when I planted them from seed.
I've stopped for the day now because I wanted to get to the garden centre for more pots before they close. The lettuce that was planted a few weeks ago didn't take too well to being transplanted on, so instead I thought of sowing the seed in large troughs, and letting them grow straight through without the need to transplant, hopefully they will then produce some nice plants without the need moving between pots as they get bigger.