Thursday, November 24, 2011

Back To The Classics Book Challenge 2012

I was surfing twitter and the interwebs earlier this week and came across a new blog:  Sarah Reads Too Much.  She was proposing a challenge to read a number of classics within certain catagories during 2012.

As I wrote the other day, I read a lot of books during 2011 and was looking for something a bit different in 2012 as a challenge.  There are a number of classics, that I want to read, some that I have already, the books sitting on my shelves and have never gotten around to reading, others that I'll have to get hold of a copy, but again ones that I've always wanted to read.

Anyway here are the categories:

  • Any 19th Century Classic
  • Any 20th Century Classic
  • Reread a classic of your choice
  • A Classic Play
  • Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction
  • Classic Romance
  • Read a Classic that has been translated from its original language to your language   - To clarify, if your native language is NOT English, you may read any classic originally written in English that has been translated into your native language. 
  • Classic Award Winner  - To clarify, the book should be a classic which has won any established literary award. 
  • Read a Classic set in a Country that you (realistically speaking) will not visit during your lifetime  - To Clarify, this does not have to be a country that you hope to visit either.  Countries that no longer exist or have never existed count.

And here are my provisional choices (I might change some as I think more on this, but these are my gut reactions based on books that I've always wanted to read, or have on my shelves and have never gotten around to reading, and are all regarded in one way or another as classics):

  • Any 19th Century Classic:
    • Walden - Henry David Thoreau
  • Any 20th Century Classic
    • Watership Down - Richard Adams
  • Reread a classic of your choice
    • The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling or The Hobbit J R R Tolkien
  • A Classic Play
    • The Seagull - Anton Chekhov
  • Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction
    • At The Mountains of Madness - H P Lovecraft
  • Classic Romance
    • Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
  • Classic translation
    • Around the World In Eighty Days - Jules Verne
  • Classic Award Winner
    • The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway (Pulitzer 1953) 
  • Read a Classic set in a Country that you (realistically speaking) will not visit during your lifetime
    • The Island of Dr Moreau - H G Wells (not sure if this counts as a country that has "never existed", so might have to rethink this one).
Challenge_12

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Posted via email from Tontowilliams's Electronic Scrapbook

No comments: