Thursday, July 15, 2010

Untitled

The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World WarThe Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War by Andrew Roberts
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have had an interest in military history since I was a schoolboy, in particular The Boer War and WWII. I have therefore read a book or two about both conflicts. This "new history" of WWII is by far one of the best that I have read in a long time. It is extremely well written. Many history books can be an excellent cure for insomnia, but this one is in a league of it's own for keeping the reader involved. It is also extremely well researched with copious references and page notes (the main text is just over 600 pages, and there are some 200 pages of references). If you have an interest in military history or the WWII conflict then I would recommend this book. If you are not specifically interested but curious then I would also suggest that this is good place to start rather than any other volume. There are plenty of others, many of which are very dry. Be warned however this book pulls no punches about the true horrors of conflict. There was massive life loss in WWII, not just those directly involved in the conflict, but civilian casualties, and also the barbarity of all sides. The holocaust is a sickening chapter which hits home, making the reader really understand how we should never forget this period in human history. View all my reviews >>

Posted via email from tontowilliams's posterous

No comments: