Monday, November 19, 2007

Really F***ing Angry

My earlier post was published a little quickly, simply due to lack of time this morning.  I need to clarify my position here I think.  Or do I?
 
Hunting of whales, of whatever species is wrong.  The fact that this is being done under the guise of scientific research?  Also wrong.  If it is scientific research then most of the "data" being collected can also be collected by non-lethal means.  So why the need to hunt?  Well if the hunting is done in the name of "science" then the by-product, i.e. dead whales, can be sold on the open market, which obviously doesn't happen when the "science" is arrived at through non-lethal means.
 
Now call me a cynic if you want, but I can't help thinking that these so called scientists are just full of bullshit.
 
Visualise if you will the send off that was given to the whaling fleet (see the link in the previous post).  Would it have gotten the same response if it was non-lethal research?  I can't help thinking it wouldn't.  I fail to see why these people are seen as such heroes, OK they are someones son/daughter, mother/father but they are also purporting to be doing something in the name of science which clearly isn't.
 
The Japanese government refer to those trying to stop them as "Environmental Terrorists", and whilst I am not and have never been a fan of direct action, I can't help feeling that this is the only way.  Public, ethical pressure, politics, have failed.  Sanctions might work, but technically they are doing nothing wrong; scientific research remember.  So where does that leave us, probably direct action, lead probably by Greenpeace.
 
I apologise for ranting here.  I had planned a post on the gig I went to last night (which was excellent by the way), but I'm afraid my blood is a little warm at the moment.

No comments: